The bastide of Beaumont de lomagne
- Lat : 43.883833
- Long : 0.988597
Don't miss visiting Beaumont de Lomagne and two of the most remarkable monuments of Lomagne: the church of Notre Dame de l'Assomption and the "halle" (the covered market), both from the XIIIth century.
The bastide of Beaumont de Lomagne was created between 1276 and 1279 by Granselve abbey and the king of France, Philip III the Hard.
The center of this bastide is occupied by a square where commercial exchanges used to take place (markets, etc.). This big square (the Halle) with sides of 36 metres has an impressive framework elevated by 38 posts over stone pedestals (plinths). Throughout the centuries this Halle has been often restored and modified. On 27th March 1647 the keep fell down completely. It was replaced by the present pinnacle. Its role was to signify the town’s control of this building.
Notre Dame de l’Assomption is the church of Beaumont de Lomagne and its construction began in 1280. The bell tower was built in the 15th century and it is similar to St Sernin in Toulouse. It’s 50 m high. From 1430 to 1436 the Bishop of Montauban was living in Beaumont, that’s why Beaumont church could be called a “Cathedral”.
There are several private hotels in Beaumont : Pierre fermat's Home, l’hôtel Toureilh, the house called Jean d’Armagnac, l’hôtel called Chartreuse, l’hôtel Vernhes, Argombat lord's house...