Ideally located on a rocky outcrop, Maubec was originally a Gallic oppidum, located on an important route between Toulouse and Lectoure.
The village was part of the property of the lordship of the Isle-Jourdain before belonging to Armagnac in 1421.
He survived the Hundred Years War, unlike its neighbor, the village of Enconde, destroyed in 1359.
In the sixteenth century, Maubec Catholic stronghold in a strongly Protestant region is taken and ravaged in 1590.
Middle Ages Maubec has retained some of its walls, pierced with loopholes.
They draw a rectangle around the village which perpetuates the memory of the old place, both formidable and reassuring.
The Saint-Orens, wide and high (early sixteenth century) church was preceded by a bell, probably octagonal overthrown in 1590, which remains the only imposing porch.
Inside, there are more vaults, but we discovered a whole world of symbolic characters and animals carved on the pellets.
Today church walls and are classified as “Historic Monuments”The hilltop above the town Gimone lives peacefully, surrounded gascone campaign full Lomagne.
All year round, daily.
Prices & payment
Equipment & services
- Picnic area
- Public WC
- Car park
- Orientation board
- Pets welcome