The city and its church are the same age.
Born like the city, around 1280, from the will of the monks of Grandselve, the Church of Our Lady of the Assumption followed the rise of its people, its wars, its famines, its struggles, religious and fratricidal, its festivals .
Fortress, cathedral, necropolis, fodder store, church, it went through, not without damage, all storms.
Reconstructions, alterations, restorations have always preserved this vast monument of red brick.
The first two spans on the bedside side rose quickly, forming the choir and four chapels.
It was not until the end of the 14th century that the other four spans of the nave and the base of the bell tower were completed.
In 1430 the church could be consecrated by bishop Bernard de la Roche-Fontenille who, driven from Montauban by the English, made it his cathedral for two years.
The three openwork stages of the bell tower were completed around 1500, the spire and its terminal jewel around 1530.
The church suffered from the Wars of Religion.
During the revolution, it was transformed into a fodder store.
The turmoil of the past revolution, the nineteenth century was that of repairs and repair of stained glass, the development of the entrance gate, the installation of new furniture.
The church in 1843 was classified “Historic Monument” by the writer Mérimée, Inspector General of Historic Monuments.
Every day throughout the year between 10 am and 6 pm.
Closed on Sunday.
Prices & payment